The bats’ emergence from Bracken Cave is an outdoor experience. Please read the information below before making your reservations.
Arrival & Departure:
• Visitors will meet at the gate to BCI’s Bracken Cave Reserve. Directions and arrival times (between 5 and 6:30 p.m., depending on the bats’ schedule) will be provided following your reservation.
• Please be prompt. We are not able to accommodate late arrivals.
• After a brief orientation, visitors will drive their vehicles to Bracken Cave.
• The entire experience will last approximately 3 to 4 hours. The emergence is a natural phenomenon and we cannot control or predict exact start and end times.
• Early departures from the viewing area are not permitted, except in the case of emergencies. Plan to be at the cave until the entire group departs.
• Bracken Cave is located in a natural, unimproved area. The road leading to the cave is fairly rough and dusty. Cars with low ground clearance are not recommended and alternate transportation is not provided.
• The bats can be sensitive to noise, so visitors should remain quietly seated as much as possible. Please take this into consideration if you are considering bringing children to view the flight.
• We recommend bringing a camera, but flash photography is not allowed.
• You may want to bring binoculars as hawks and other birds of prey are often seen.
Physical Limitations to Consider:
• Total walking distance is approximately one-half mile. Please consider physical limitations and the Texas summer heat when planning your trip. The walking trails around the cave entrance are gravel. If you have special accessibility needs, please let your guide know at check-in.
• Once you arrive at Bracken Cave, the only restroom facilities are unisex Port-a-Potties.
• Hand sanitizer is available, but hand-washing stations are not.
What to Wear:
• We recommend wearing comfortable clothes, closed-toe shoes and socks.
What to Bring:
• We also suggest sunscreen, insect repellent and binoculars.
What You Cannot Bring:
• Please DO NOT bring chairs, food, pets, alcohol or items such as cigarettes, cigars, pipes, matches or lighters. There is absolutely NO SMOKING at Bracken Cave.
• Guests are required to sign a liability waiver at check-in.
Please note: Each membership allows the member and up to three guests to visit on one Member Night per year. Additional visitors or nights require an additional membership.